Sunday, September 15, 2013

Here's Where You Come In

Now that all the jollification, merriment and unbridled revelry has at long last abated from Wednesday's gala book launch party -- and before I begin using this space to promote upcoming events such as Wednesday, Sept. 18 at Barnes and Noble in Winston and Thursday, Sept. 19 at B&N in Greensboro -- it's time to get down to what I meant this blog to be all about.

Let the brouhaha begin..

From the day I first hit a key stroke in the writing of ACC Basketball Book of Fame, I recognized full well what a mess I would be stirring up by selecting certain players for this noble honor while snubbing others. I could already hear the howls of anguish welling up from those whose heroes had been done downright dirty by Country Dan.

It's true the focus of the book evolved in the writing and editing. What began as a homage to Bill James (and his objective, calculated, statistics-based approach to assigning accomplishments and accolades) actually became first and foremost a history of the greatest college basketball conference through its greatest players. The stories are truly the heart of the book.

That said, I choose to take complete ownership of my formula, embrace it even, if for no other reason than the controversy certain to ensue. Controversy is marketable. Each Ka-ching of the cash register is one more board bought for Tybee's dream house at the beach.

What else I recognized from day one, or maybe it was the next day, was that by devising the criterion for admission the way I did, through an awards points system based on All-ACC voting and other accolades, the players would be enshrined not necessarily for how good they were but how good they were perceived to be those who watched them play. They would be decorated again for how lavishly they were decorated while they played, or else snubbed again because they were originally snubbed while they played.

And in doing so, I'd be doing certain players dirty. Downright dirty. I tried to make it up somewhat with the Portico of Promise included the ACC Basketball Book of Fame, but that's weak sauce for those parties as thoroughly aggrieved as a Dennis Scott, Elton Brand or Horace Grant. All were better players, I feel quite safe in saying, than some who are members in good standing of my ACC Basketball Book of Fame.

But as I write in the introduction, I never meant for my book to be the last word on who belongs in the ACC Basketball Hall of Fame.

I want it to be the first.

So that's where you guys come in. If you take even the least bit of umbrage over any of my selections, let me hear it. That's what this blog is here for. Make your case for Scott or Chris Paul or Walter Davis or anybody you feel should be immortalized in my book, then I'll be more than happy to hear it. Make it long and well enough and I'll post your essay or arguments and give you full credit as a Guest Poster.

I like Guest Posters.

The more you write, the less I'll have to.

But I really do want to hear from you, good or bad. Let me have it on my ol' bearded Scots-Irish jaw. I can take it. I relish it.

Because what else I wrote in the introduction was that I never spent 40 days and 40 nights on Mount Sinai to bring my Awards Points Formula down on two stone tablets.

I would really hate for anyone to think I was taking myself that seriously.


                                                           In Your Face Country Dan Collins

No comments:

Post a Comment